Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
DIY Conversions (Read 5712 times)
CNG Taco
Newbies

CNG Power

DIY Conversions
01/15/12 at 19:26:30

Is there any talk in this forum regarding DIY conversions?  I have spent a little time over at CNGchat.com and they kind of frown on DIY conversion discussions.  I am just wrapping up a conversion on my 2004 Tacoma and would like to know if anyone else has used the same conversion kit that I did.

View Profile   IP Logged
younkin
Newbies

CNG Power

Re: DIY Conversions
Reply #1 - 02/05/12 at 14:32:28

Give me a call 801 427 2284, I have been kicked off of CNG Chat 3 times, my CNG Blog is www.younkincng.com  there is an install manual there, Jim

View Profile   IP Logged
karl
Newbies

CNG Power

Reply #2 - 02/19/12 at 20:49:27

I am curious what conversion kit you used.  What engine does your tacoma have?

Are you happy with the results?
I don't know if discussion of "non epa" conversion is tolerated as I just joined.  I can't see any harm in testing the waters.

Karl

View Profile   IP Logged
Ellis Gibson
Newbies

CNG Power

212 Margaret St, Pickens, SC 2
Reply #3 - 03/23/12 at 00:49:56

Which topics should be included in DIY Conversions??

View Profile   IP Logged
Kieran
Newbies

CNG Power

Reply #4 - 03/28/12 at 00:50:14

I'm dying to order a DIY kit for my 2003 Ford Taurus.  I can't find anything about what kits are better or worse though.  I was thinking about ordering one from red gas, but it is a little cheaper to get a Chinese one from LGC.  I'm not sure if either one is good because everyone seems to badmouth the competitors and it is hard to figure out what is good, bad and true or false.

View Profile   IP Logged
karl
Newbies

CNG Power

Reply #5 - 03/28/12 at 06:45:03

How mechanically inclined are you?
I have a strong preference for the sequential injection conversions but they require a lot more mechanical aptitude to install and the cost is typically significantly higher.
I talked to Gonzalo at red gas and he sounds like he stands behind his product. It looks much easier to install than an injection kit.
I would say give it a try and share your results on the forum.

Kael

View Profile   IP Logged
Kieran
Newbies

CNG Power

Reply #6 - 03/28/12 at 13:25:44

karl wrote on 03/28/12 at 06:45:03:
How mechanically inclined are you?
I have a strong preference for the sequential injection conversions but they require a lot more mechanical aptitude to install and the cost is typically significantly higher.
I talked to Gonzalo at red gas and he sounds like he stands behind his product. It looks much easier to install than an injection kit.
I would say give it a try and share your results on the forum.

Kael

I'm fairly mechanically inclined.   He told me it takes 20 hours to install one.  That seems like quite a bit of time, but I have seen the manual for the LGC units and it is pretty clear how to do everything.

My main questions at this point are:
1.  Why should I buy this company or that company's product? (I see on the Energy and Water Solutions Website that the Red Gas mixers supposedly are no good.  I wonder how true that is?  Gonzalo seemed like a stand up guy and very knowledgeable on the phone to his credit.  I believe EWS sells the Chinese units from LGC and sticks their own stickers on them so they can double the price.  Anyone know?)
2.  How do I get a tank, build a bracket and install it in my trunk properly?  Is this going to be $1000 when I'm done just for the tank install?  I figure if costs are below $1000 total it may be worth it for me.
3.  I'm a little confused on what adapters I may need if I have Fitting A, but my local filling station uses fitting B?  I believe my local station is 3600psi, but I don't know for sure.  This may change my decision on what tank I buy too?  I don't know.
4.  There are 4 oxygen sensors on my car.  I believe they call them upstream and downstream sensors.  Do i have to connect to all four sensors for the oxygen sensor signal?
5.  Another website that does expensive conversions says I will blow my motor up by running a typical CNG system like the Red Gas one or whatever brand DIY unit because it will run too lean or whatever and harm the motor.  Is there any truth to that?  I figure if shorten the life slightly, but save on gas it still may be worth it?

View Profile   IP Logged
karl
Newbies

CNG Power

Reply #7 - 03/28/12 at 18:03:44

I'm fairly mechanically inclined.   He told me it takes 20 hours to install one.  That seems like quite a bit of time, but I have seen the manual for the LGC units and it is pretty clear how to do everything.

I could see putting 20 hours into tank installation and running the stainless high pressure tubing if I want a clean safe professional appearing installation.  Maybe 4 hours for a sketchy looking botch job that would work but be a source of criticism and safety concerns.

My main questions at this point are:
1.  Why should I buy this company or that company's product? (I see on the Energy and Water Solutions Website that the Red Gas mixers supposedly are no good.  I wonder how true that is?  Gonzalo seemed like a stand up guy and very knowledgeable on the phone to his credit. Ask Gonzalo what kind of guarantee he will offer.  I would hesitate to buy from ews as they don't seem very supportive. I believe EWS sells the Chinese units from LGC and sticks their own stickers on them so they can double the price.  Anyone know?)I don't know of anyone selling diy kits that they manufacture themselves.  I think 100 percent markup is pretty reasonable for imported goods
2.  How do I get a tank, build a bracket and install it in my trunk properly?  Is this going to be $1000 when I'm done just for the tank install?  I have 16 hours of fabricating tank mounts and venting in a current project,  Finding a local used tank could get you something for as little as $100,  A new tank could cost you a thousand dollars or more I figure if costs are below $1000 total it may be worth it for me.
3.  I'm a little confused on what adapters I may need if I have Fitting A, but my local filling station uses fitting B?  I believe my local station is 3600psi, but I don't know for sure.  This may change my decision on what tank I buy too?  I don't know. If you put 3600 psi fill nozzle on the car you can fill from any filling station.  If you put on a 3000 psi nozzle you can't use the 3600 psi filling station.
4.  There are 4 oxygen sensors on my car.  I believe they call them upstream and downstream sensors.  Do i have to connect to all four sensors for the oxygen sensor signal?That is a question for your cng kit manufacturer.  The sequential injection kits I have experience with don't require you to connect to the o2 sensor directly.  They depend on the gasoline fuel injector sig[color=#ff0000]nals which are modified by stock ecu based on the o2 sensor signals.  [/color]
5.  Another website that does expensive conversions says I will blow my motor up by running a typical CNG system like the Red Gas one or whatever brand DIY unit because it will run too lean or whatever and harm the motor.  Is there any truth to that? You might have a backfire and blow your intake manifold off with a fumigation system like redgas of ews. I figure if shorten the life slightly, but save on gas it still may be worth it? If your mixtue is running rich the fuel charge in the cylinder will still be burning when the exhaust valve opens and you will run the risk of damaging your exhaust valves and catalytic convertor.  You are a lot better off running lean.  If you could advance your ignition timing it would help with this but in general you can't modify the timing advance curve on modern OBD2 cars.
Unless you are really committed to your Taurus, why not sell it and buy a bifuel cavalier at government auction.  I would guess you could find something for between $2000 and $5000

Good luck,
Karl

View Profile   IP Logged
Kieran
Newbies

CNG Power

Reply #8 - 04/05/12 at 22:03:48

I just saw a very old chrysler minvan go for $5200 on ebay.  

You sound like you are in the business of installing CNG or at least maintaining them.  I just want to know what works and I can install for less than $1000, but preferrably $500 or less.  These Chinese units from LGC look very good.  I have not heard of anyone installing one and cannot find any review on any of the DIY CNG mixer units.  

View Profile   IP Logged
Kieran
Newbies

CNG Power

Reply #9 - 04/05/12 at 22:35:59

heres a link to the LGC website and the unit I'm talking about.  

http://www.lgc.hk/products.asp?action=detailed&id=1099&page=0&pid=203&pid2=2...

Here is the $5200 Dodge Minivan too.  People are nuts for paying this much for a really old vehicle.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/?cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649&item=2510...

View Profile   IP Logged
karl
Newbies

CNG Power

Reply #10 - 04/05/12 at 22:49:15

I would seriously consider the chinese lgc kit.  I contacted three of the buyers on ebay for and two wrote back they were very pleased with the kit.

Good luck
karl

View Profile   IP Logged
Lio

CNG Power

Reply #11 - 09/27/12 at 06:57:19

The Official Watch Of The Kentucky Derby (And Andre Agassi)| Andre Agassi swings a mean racquet - and wears a Longines. (Photo:Wikipedia) Last week Iwroteabout what a great event the Kentucky Derby is  maybe the best one in all of sports to attend in person  and how to do it in style. Now I am going to talk about the Official Watch – and Timekeeper – of the Kentucky Derby zenith el primero replica watch   Longines. I should preface this by saying I am somewhat sentimental about the brand  even though I have never owned one (I’ve historically been an Omega guy). My father in law and late mother in law had a pair of Longines for around 30 years  and other than their wedding rings  this was really their only indulgent heirloom  a big deal for them. My wife would be wearing her mom’s watch right now  had their NYC apartment not been burglarized  with both watches gone forever. I used to write on fine watches a lot  have visited several manufactures in Switzerland  and have a working knowledge of the complicated world of complications  so when I attended the Derby and Longines invited me to interview their brand ambassadors  Andre Agassi and his wife Stefanie Graf piaget watches   about their own involvement with the brand  I was very interested. And later at the winners party  I was able to see the brand new models first hand when Longines presented chronograph watches from its new Saint-Imier collection to the owner  trainer  and jockey of I’ll Have Another  winner of the 138th Kentucky Derby. “It’s one of the world’s greatest sporting events  a true bucket list ” said Agassi  who as an 8-time Grand Slam championship wining tennis player  and former world number one  knows something about sporting events. Agassi is also well known for his Andre Agassi Foundation for Education which starteda school for disadvantaged youth in Las Vegas  where the power tennis couple lives  and is very vocal and involved in his charitable cause. “We have been together with Longines for five or six years. They have a culture of giving back replica watches   and they saw what we are doing in Vegas and were the title sponsor of our annual fundraiser at Wynn. We’re good ambassadors for them with all the work Stefi and I have been doing  and ultimately they won our hearts through what we are doing in Las Vegas.” When I asked him how many Longines he had replica harry winston project z4 watches   Agassi laughed and said  “We’ve become collectors. We each have eight or nine.”   This watch from the newest Longines collection was presented to the owner of the winning horse in the 2012 Kentucky Derby. Like almost all fine watchmakers replica hublot   Longines is Swiss  and has been doing its thing in the town Saint-Imier since 1832  and today is the only watchmaking company remaining in the town. That is why they chose it for the name of their newest collection  among their highest-end timepieces  all with mechanical movements and a case shape common to the collection that was inspired by a 1945 Longines model. The Saint-Imier watches include chronographs  plus a top-of-the-line model with four retrograde functions  day/night display  and moon phases. All the models have a “skeleton” back  a transparent sapphire back cover so owners can admire the intricate mechanical movements. The collection includes models in steel  steel and rose gold  or rose gold  and comes in four case sizes (26  30  38.5 and 41 mm)  including some set with diamonds  fitted on a black or brown alligator strap  steel or steel and rose gold bracelet. Choice of dials include black  silvered or for women  white mother-of-pearl with diamond indexes  with a folding safety clasp  to match the dial. There are three lines within the collection  Ladies Classics  Men’s Classic and Chronographs  with the first two being dressier and the third sportier. These watches are very new and at the moment hard to even find at retail  but availability should increase in the near future. The suggested retail prices for the new collection range from Around $3-$10 000. The watch shown  presented to the owner of I’ll Have Another  is the top end of the collection at $10 225. Follow Me on Twitter Here                                                                                                                   0 comments  0 called-out                                                                                                                    

View Profile   IP Logged
kwell
Newbies

CNG Power

Reply #12 - 03/21/13 at 08:19:54

Ya I just got kicked off cng chat... lol, I was asking them about my chinese regulator is rated for 20 mpa, and the only filling station is 3600 psi (25 mpa) and i dont know if it will blow up... and everything else is 3600 psi, but they said that the epa would blow it up or something, but I have been talking to a few suppliers of poppet valves and seeing where that gets me. Smiley the epa has a problem with those also though. but they think the chinese are going after 1 cng owner at a time with faulty parts, this regulator is going to kill me they said, but it hasnt made a move yet.

View Profile   IP Logged
Helmon Mite
Newbies

CNG Power

Reply #13 - 05/28/13 at 10:59:14

I written to Gonzalo on red petrol and he feels like he holders behind their product. It looks easier to set up than a injection equipment.

I have a powerful preference for that sequential injection conversions but they require additional mechanical aptitude to put in and the fee is generally significantly greater.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print